Medieval Paris - Right bank
We have now achieved our tour in Ile de la Cité.
Let's now continue on the right bank, let’s come back towards Ile Saint-Louis, let’s take the Saint-Louis bridge, let’s turn into Quai Bourbon and let’s take the Pont-Philippe bridge to reach the old Marais streets.
Following Atget's steps, we will stop at the following :
* Rue du Grenier-sur-l’Eau
* 13, rue François-Miron
* Hôtel de Sens
* Rue des Jardins-Saint-Paul
* Rue du Prévôt
* Cloître des Billettes - 22-24, rue des Archives (Cloister)
* Hôtel de Clisson - 58, rue des Archives
* 3, Rue Volta
* Rue de Montmorency - Oldest house (Nicolas Flamel's)
* Le prieuré de Saint-Martin-des-Champs
Rue du Grenier-sur- l’Eau
Rue du Grenier-sur-l'Eau
We are now standing at the corner of rue des Barres and rue du Grenier-sur-l’Eau. This half-timbered house, probably built in the 17th century looking over the cobbled
street with a central gutter looks quite medieval.
At Atget’s time, the street was much more narrow and the old corbelled building was almost reaching the other house across the street, which had been destroyed in 1943.
In 2000, the part of the street behind us has been renamed Allée des Justes, in tribute to Righteous people who risked their lives to save Jews during war from 1939 to
1945. Since 2006, their names appear on the wall of the Holocaust Museum, located in the near 17, rue Geoffroy-l’Asnier.
13, rue François-Miron
“ For one of the radical differences of the cities of that time and the cities of the present day is that now the fronts face the streets and places, whereas then it was the
gables. During the last two centuries the houses have turned round. “
The Hunchback of Notre-Dame – Victor Hugo (1831)
For safety reasons, gables were prohibited by law in 1667 and from then the axis of roofs is parallel to the streets. These two old gabled houses were built between 14th and 16th century. The corner beams are made of a single piece of wood and are specific of the old medieval building techniques. When the houses were meticulously restored in 1967, the architect removed the plaster covering their half-timbering. In fact, in 1607, it was ordered that wooden elements be covered with plaster in order to prevent fire hazards. Using old documents, the architect also built a replica of two medieval shops with the sign of the Reaper for number 11 and the sign of the Sheep for number 13.